In recent years, technology has quickly changed the way we accomplish the most mundane tasks. From making a phone call to scheduling a doctor’s appointment, innovative technology makes our lives easier every day. In the dental field, innovations have not only made treatments easier and more predictable, they have also made it possible for patients to receive advanced dentistry procedures with minimal discomfort, less time in the dental chair, and reduced risk for concerns following treatment. One of the dental technologies that has had the greatest impact in the field is the soft tissue laser. Laser dentistry at Blue Sage Dental allows Dr. Susan Kutis and her Littleton dental team to offer safe, comfortable treatments to restore oral health or improve the appearance of the smile. If you would like to learn more about laser dentistry or any of the dental services we provide, contact our Littleton dentist and team to schedule a treatment consultation today.
The Gemini Diode Laser
The Gemini diode laser is a product of Ultradent, a company that provides high quality, innovative dental technology tools for dentists. Using a 20 watt power sources, this soft tissue laser can quickly and precisely remove soft tissue and cauterize the treatment area. Additionally, the Gemini is the first dental laser to provide two separate wavelength options in the same tool - 810 and 980 wavelength. In the past, switching between wavelengths meant using an entirely separate laser. Thanks to the Gemini diode laser, Dr. Kutis can seamlessly transition between the two wavelengths to ensure precise treatment.
Treatments Using Dental Lasers
We may provide a wide range of dental services using the Gemini diode laser, including:
- Completing gum disease treatments like scaling and root planing
- Providing deep cleanings for patients at risk for gum disease
- Reshaping the gum line for patients with “stubby” teeth or “gummy” smiles
- Exposing adequate dental structure to support a dental crown, fixed bridge, or other dental restoration
- Cold sores and canker sores provide immediate relief from discomfort, remove the darker coloring and bumps, and prevent recurrence without the use of drugs or toxins
- Frenectomy is a laser treatment to remove excessive tissue connecting lip and gums or longue to the floor of the mouth conditions known as lip or tongue-tie and cleft lip and palate
The Laser Dentistry Process
Using the Gemini system, these dental treatments are able to be completed quickly and comfortably. We simply set the laser to the correct procedure, select a wavelength, and set straight to work. We will usually numb the area to be treated to ensure comfort. Then, we use the preset dental laser to remove or reshape gum tissue as necessary to deliver flawless, healthy smiles. Following treatment, you may feel some mild sensitivity or discomfort. However, you should be healed within 48 hours of the procedure.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
There are numerous benefits to completing dental procedures using lasers. Some of the most important advantages to laser dentistry include:
- Less time in the dental office as procedures are completed more quickly
- Less discomfort and bleeding during treatment as soft tissue is instantly cauterized
- Faster healing time with reduced risk for infection since there is no need to place or remove sutures which take longer to heal and are more easily infected following treatment
- More precise treatment than is possible with traditional scalpel and suture methods means a more conservative procedure
- Patients are less likely to need anesthesia or sedation dentistry services